Florida is a state of adventure, with beautiful beaches, wildlife, and iconic attractions. One of the best ways to explore all that Florida has to offer is by taking a road trip. Whether you’re looking to enjoy the beautiful coastal scenery or discover hidden gems, Florida has a road trip for you. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the top road trips in Florida, their attractions, and what makes them stand out.
1. Florida Keys Scenic Highway
The Florida Keys Scenic Highway is one of the most iconic road trips in Florida, spanning over 100 miles from Key Largo to Key West. This scenic byway offers breathtaking views of the ocean, mangroves, and coral reefs. The drive takes you along the beautiful Florida Keys, where you can explore small towns and enjoy the laid-back island lifestyle. Along the way, you can visit popular attractions such as the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, the Seven Mile Bridge, and the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, where you can learn about the life and works of the famous author.
2. A1A Scenic and Historic Coastal Byway
The A1A Scenic and Historic Coastal Byway is a beautiful drive that runs along the Atlantic coast of Florida. This byway spans over 72 miles, passing through some of Florida’s most picturesque towns and beaches. The drive takes you through historic St. Augustine, the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement in the United States. You can also explore the Daytona International Speedway, home to some of the biggest NASCAR races of the year. You can enjoy stunning views of the ocean, relax on the beach, and soak up the local culture.
3. Tamiami Trail Scenic Highway
The Tamiami Trail Scenic Highway is a historic byway that runs through the heart of the Everglades. This 275-mile drive starts in Tampa and ends in Miami, passing through some of Florida’s most beautiful natural landscapes. Along the way, you can visit attractions such as the Big Cypress National Preserve, the Miccosukee Indian Village, and the Shark Valley Observation Tower. The drive takes you through the heart of the Everglades, where you can see alligators, snakes, and other wildlife in their natural habitat.
4. Overseas Highway
The Overseas Highway is a scenic drive that spans over 100 miles from Miami to Key West. This road trip passes through over 40 islands, offering stunning views of the ocean and wildlife. The drive takes you over the famous Seven Mile Bridge, one of the longest in the world, and offers plenty of opportunities to stop and explore the beautiful islands along the way. You can visit popular attractions such as the Dolphin Research Center, Bahia Honda State Park, and the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory. You can also enjoy the laid-back island lifestyle and take in the stunning ocean views.
5. Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail
The Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail is a unique road trip that spans over 2,000 miles across Florida. This trail showcases Florida’s diverse wildlife, including over 500 species of birds. Along the way, you can visit popular wildlife areas such as the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, the Sanibel Island Lighthouse, and the J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge. You can also explore the state’s natural beauty, including beaches, wetlands, and forests. This road trip is perfect for nature lovers who want to see the best of Florida’s wildlife.
Why Take a Road Trip in Florida?
Taking a road trip in Florida is a unique experience that offers plenty of advantages. First, you can explore the state’s natural beauty, including its stunning beaches, wildlife, and natural landscapes. Second, you can discover Florida’s rich history and culture, including its vibrant art scene, historic towns, and iconic attractions. Third, you can enjoy the freedom and flexibility that comes with a road trip, allowing you to take detours and explore hidden gems along the way.
Things to Do in Florida
Florida is a state filled with natural beauty, iconic attractions, and a rich culture. Here are some of the top attractions to explore:
1. Walt Disney World – This iconic theme park offers a magical experience for visitors of all ages, featuring rides, shows, and Disney characters.
2. Kennedy Space Center – This historic space center offers a behind-the-scenes look at NASA’s space program, including interactive exhibits, IMAX movies, and a chance to meet real-life astronauts.
3. Miami Beach – This world-famous beach destination is known for its clear blue water, warm sunshine, and vibrant nightlife.
4. Everglades National Park – This unique national park is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including alligators, panthers, and manatees.
5. St. Augustine – This historic town is the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement in the United States and is filled with charming cafes, shops, and historic sites.
6. Universal Studios Florida – This popular theme park offers thrilling rides, shows, and attractions based on famous movies and TV shows.
7. Key West – This laid-back island destination is known for its beautiful beaches, colorful architecture, and relaxed atmosphere.
8. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay – This popular amusement park offers thrilling roller coasters, animal exhibits, and live shows.
9. Daytona International Speedway – This iconic speedway hosts some of the biggest NASCAR races of the year and offers tours of the facility.
10. South Beach – This trendy Miami neighborhood is known for its art deco architecture, high-end shopping, and vibrant nightlife.
Tips for Planning a Florida Road Trip
Planning a road trip in Florida can be a fun and exciting experience. Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your trip:
1. Research your route – Florida has a lot to offer, so it’s important to plan out your route and decide which attractions you want to see.
2. Rent a car – Renting a car gives you the flexibility to explore the state on your own terms and make impromptu stops along the way.
3. Book accommodations in advance – Florida is a popular destination, so it’s important to book your accommodations in advance, especially during peak travel season.
4. Pack for the weather – Florida can get hot and humid, so be sure to pack lightweight, breathable clothing and plenty of sunscreen.
5. Take breaks – Driving can be tiring, so be sure to take breaks along the way to stretch your legs, grab a bite to eat, and enjoy the scenery.
Florida is a state filled with natural beauty, iconic attractions, and a rich culture. Taking a road trip is one of the best ways to experience all that Florida has to offer, whether you’re looking to enjoy the beautiful coastal scenery or discover hidden gems. With its stunning beaches, wildlife, and natural landscapes, Florida is the perfect destination for a road trip adventure. We hope this guide has helped you discover some of the top road trips in Florida and what makes them stand out. Happy adventuring!